This recipe was adapted from The Martha Stewart Cookbook. We used a can of pumpkin purée. Honey provides a good balance against the taste of pumpkin: the bread was eaten (with a helping) by someone wary of anything pumpkin!
Makes 2 large loaves.
1 ½ sticks (150 gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup raw (or brown) sugar
4 jumbo eggs
3 tablespoons honey
2/3 cup water
1 can (15 oz / 425 gr) pumpkin
3 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground Ceylon cinnamon (or any cinnamon)
½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- Beat together the butter, raw sugar, and sugar until well-blended and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the honey, water and pumpkin and mix well.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin mixture to the bowl and stir until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean – for about 55 minutes. Cool the bread in the pans.