“Île d’Orléans had long been inhabited by the indigenous tribes. The Huron called it Minigo, the enchanted island. In 1536, explorer Jacques Cartier renamed the island Orléans, in honour of the Duke of Orleans.
The island’s fertile soil attracted French settlers, yet its colonization proceeded slowly. During mid seventeen century, it was ground to fights between Huron and Iroquois tribes. According to the census conducted in 1685, the island’s population consisted of 1205 people and 917 heads of livestock.
Until the bridge to the island was inaugurated in 1935, the island’s inhabitants were relatively isolated in the middle of the St. Lawrence. The only way to reach the mainland in the summer was by boat, and in the winter, by crossing the ice bridge formed when the river froze up.
Summarized from tourisme.iledorleans.com and Wikipedia
Île d’Orléans is no longer isolated.
Quebec City is clearly seen from the island:
but looking around, one sees wildlife:
and farms and fields:
The island is known for its produce and food-tourism.
There is a place for lovers of chocolate,
and for those who want a meal with a view on the river:
Yet, for the freshest food, pick your own: